"Breathe In. Breathe Out. Relax and try to feel comfortable."

That's what I always tell myself when I'm having asthma attacks. It's hard telling yourself to relax and feel comfortable when all in fact you aren't. How could you feel comfortable when you can hardly breathe? But I still have to, I need to cheer and comfort myself. :) I'm doing it for years and I've also had several trips with the 911 ambulance but yeah I've gotten the hang of it. When I get asthma attacks I get away from everything that would stress me out, and sad to say that it sometimes mean to distant myself from my little bug for a while. Because when my emotions heighten it'll add more discomfort for me, I'll just sit in my comfy chair and try to relax concentrating on my breathing.

FACTS ABOUT ASTHMA:

1. Asthma is not a psychological condition. However, emotional triggers can cause flare-ups.
2. You cannot outgrow asthma. In about 50% of children with asthma, the condition may become inactive in the teenage years. The symptoms, however, may reoccur anytime in adulthood.
3. There is no cure for asthma, but the disease can be controlled in most patients with good medical care. The condition should be taken seriously, since uncontrolled asthma may result in emergency hospitalization and possible death.
4. You have a 6% chance of having asthma if neither parent has the condition, a 30% chance if one parent has it, and a 70% chance if both parents have it.
5. Asthma is not contagious.
6. A new environment may temporarily improve asthma symptoms, but it will not cure asthma. After a few years in the new location, many people become sensitized to the new environment and the asthma symptoms return with the same or even greater intensity than before.
Living with asthma is not easy. I grew up with a lot of restrictions and there were tons of things I wasn't able to do while growing up. Just like joining sports or Girls Scout. lol I've alwas wanted to join the Girls Scout and camp-out with the troupes but parents didn't allowed me. I fairly understand now and so I always pray to the Lord to save my son from it (Asthma) because I've always read that asthma is somewhat hereditary. :( I never want to let my son experience the discomfort that I have felt with asthma. I'm an Asthmatic :'| it's not something to be happy or to be proud about but I'm taking care of myself more. There's no better person that can help me but myself. :)

3 Comments

Keith said…
Bojoy, thank you for blogging. I am glad you continue to share online with us. I am still in California, and saw yer name in Yahoo, decideed to check yer blog again...

It has been years since I had trouble breathing (perfume started me wheezing once) but in the years since I quit smoking, most of the problems I had since childhood have departed me
Yes, it is not easy to have asthma because it is a very uncomfortable sickness. My brother and my second eldest son have asthma and we always pity them when they have an asthma attack. Thanks for the post. God bless you all always.
mads, si chiah asthmatic pud. :(